In honor of my lovely friend A.M. over at Together Cooking, I’ve been on a mission this week to create my own gummy candies. I have yet to find the perfect gummy bear recipe but this recipe for pectin gummies came out really well. The texture is firmer then when I made it with gelatin and does not call for a box of jell-o.
- 1 box (1 3/4 ounces) powdered pectin (available in many supermarkets or hardware stores)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda 3/4 cup water
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon extract, or orange extract
- 6 to 8 drops yellow or orange food coloring (optional)
- Vegetable oil for coating the molds
- Superfine sugar for coating the candy
- Lightly oil enough candy molds to make 36 medium-size bears, or a 9×13 inch pan and set aside.
- Bring pectin, baking soda, and water to a boil over medium heat, stirring until pectin is dissolved and the mixture is thick and smooth. Turn off the heat and cover to keep warm. Do not let it set.
- In another sauce pan bring the corn syrup and sugar to a boil, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Cook until a candy thermometer reaches 260 F.
- Add pectin mixture immediately and cook 1 minute, pour into prepared pan or molds and let firm.
If using molds: sprinkle with superfine sugar and remove with fingers.
If using a pan: remove entire sheet from the pan and cut out with small cookie cutters. Toss in a bowl of superfine sugar until separated and no longer sticky.